1.003 paratroopers of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade landed on September 21, 1944 in Driel and the surrounding area to take part in the Battle of Arnhem. A year after this date, a committee was established, called Comité Driel - Polen (now Driel-Polen Foundation), which aims to: Preserve the memory of the contribution of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade to the Battle of Arnhem, by organizing an annual commemoration, disseminating information about the contribution of the Polish soldiers to the Battle of Arnhem and involving residents of Driel at the commemorations.
On September 21, 1945, the inhabitants of Driel adopted the graves of all Polish soldiers who died. The following year, flowers and plants were brought to the graves of the Polish paratroopers, who had recently been reburied at the Airborne Cemetery in Oosterbeek.
In December 1946 the schoolchildren sent Christmas wishes to all the paratroopers who had fought at Driel.
In February 1947, the Polish paratroopers donated a large sum to rebuild the boys' school, which had served as a military hospital during the battle. In May 1949 the rebuilt school was given the name St. Stanislaus Kostka School, the street on which the school was located was given the name Casimirstraat and the former Dorpsplein became Sosabowskiplein.
On September 18, 1954, the board of the former municipality of Heteren, to which Driel belonged, granted Honorary Citizenship to Major General S.F. Sosabowski.
On September 12, 1959, the inhabitants of Driel presented a banner to the Veterans' Union of the Polish Airborne Forces.
This website is made out of respect for the victims, the civilians and the veterans of WWII. It generates no financial gain what so ever and it is merely a platform to educate the visitor about WWII.
A big THANK YOU to the United States Army Center of Military History for their help in providing the input for these pages. All pages on this website are constantly being refitted with acurate data and texts and it is an ongoing process.